Monday 18 December 2017

My path to The Ontario College of Homeopathic Medicine


My path to The Ontario College of Homeopathic Medicine

March 5, 2015



I have always had an avid interest in healing people.  After three years of university in health sciences, volunteering for health and helping organizations and an interest in alternative treatments, I believe that homeopathic medicine is the best career for me.  I would like to treat people with, and help inform the populous of the benefits of homeopathic medicine.  Learning about health and healing has been a constant in my life, and I think that the Ontario College of Homeopathic Medicine (OCHM) can help me achieve my goals. 

I entered the Health Sciences program at Western in order to discover my options and expand my knowledge of health care.  It gave me a thorough education in the allopathic medical system, but a somewhat limited view of non-western treatment alternatives.  I had the fortunate experience of attending your Introduction to Homeopathy course at Women’s College Hospital.  At first I was skeptical because of the vague facts and theories I had heard about Homeopathy.  After the very first lecture however, I was relieved to find out it’s scientific foundations; instead of fighting the body and covering symptoms up, it actually helps the body help itself.  I was very impressed with the way that each of the lecturers was able to easily and clearly answer all of my questions, even when they sounded skeptical.  Shortly after that I had my first personal experience with homeopathy, developing an acute illness and being quickly and easily relieved.  The healer who treated me was able to answer many of my questions about homeopathy which further my interest and belief in this medicine. 

Over the past four years I have searched for a form of medicine that I feel strongly reflects my own belief of what a health care practitioner should offer their patients.  Homeopathy offers a treatment method that has no ill side effects.  It takes into account mental and psychological as well as physical symptoms.  It’s also the most affordable method of health care, which is always a consideration.  Homeopathic medicine lends itself to open communication with a more empathetic relationship between doctor and patient.

Deciding to further investigate homeopathy and the college choices, I attended the OCHM open house and researched other colleges.  I came to the conclusion that I wanted to pursue homeopathic medicine.  After researching many alternative medicine programs and homeopathic training courses, OCHM was definitely my first choice because of the positive attitude and humanistic approach to teaching and treatment.  The commitment and pride that I encountered at OCHM as well as the approachability of everyone that I talked to provided me with the answers that I needed to decide that this would be a great learning environment for me.  I looked at several homeopathy schools and OCHM resonated with me.  

I feel that I have a natural tendency to try and help people and I find that I am drawn to the work of a healer/helper.  A lot of my previous work and volunteering has been in a nurturing and helping role; lifeguarding, vet assistant and counseling.  I have also found these to be the most rewarding and enjoyable.  I would now like to take on a more active healing role and enable myself to help people through homeopathic medicine.  I enjoy the process of learning, and even more, the application of that knowledge.  I look forward to going back to school to study homeopathy after having taken a year to regroup, work and think about what exactly it is that I want out of my educational experience.  I believe that I am well equipped for the challenges of starting up my own practice and being self employed as well as constantly keeping abreast on recent developments and continuing to upgrade my skills and knowledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.